Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Taste of Thai

Tonight I am thinking of Thai Food.
The first time I had Thai food I ate something with a flavor that I didn't think was so great. I do not remember what it as, but I am glad I returned and tried Thai food again. It sure is a treat. I think one of my favorite dishes is Coconut Milk Soup.

Last night, after working hard outside all day, Geo and I went to one of our favorite Thai restaurants, A Taste of Thai. As we were looking for the number to find out the hours he read several reviews on line that gave this place a five star rating. We agree. It's five stars in our book too.








The food here has always been delicious. Tonight we ordered: Coconut Milk Soup, Pad Thai and Basil Chicken.

Coconut Milk Soup, (Tom Kha Gai,) is amazing. It's salty, sweet, sour and spicy, all in one bowl! It is made with chicken, coconut milk, lemon grass, lime leaves, mushrooms, red pepper, and a tuberous rhizome called galangal, or Siamese Ginger. always think of the 1971 calypso song, Coconut, by Harry Nilsson, when I am eating this stuff.

The song goes, "Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em both together, Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better....Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both up, Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the mo-o-ornin'. I am not sure what the song means, or what it's about, but it's probably not lime coca cola as that's a relatively new invention... but who knows? It's probably not about coconut milk soup either, but it's a catchy tune and it works for me.
It's lime in coconut... yum! I even like Lime Coke...

Pad Thai is a dish made of stir fried rice noodles, eggs, tamarind, chili pepper, crushed peanuts, fish sauce, bean sprouts and coriander. We ordered ours with pork, which was very good. Usually we order chicken.

the Thai people really like basil and the Basil Chicken was something the owner recommended to us, so we tried it and it was most enjoyable too. It's a sauce dish that is served over rice, or at least that is what we did with it.

I guess you could say this was a new experience for us as we ended up ordering our food "to-go;" usually we eat there in the dining area. But we arrived there late in the evening and took the food home with us. It was just as good at home!

Here are some other Taste of Thai specialties:
Garlic Shrimp

Chicken Musselman Curry

No comments:

Post a Comment