Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

McDonalds

I have to wonder if the person who invented ice cream knew they made the world a happier place. I mean, tell me, how such a simple thing, an ice cream cone, be such fun? I have to thank McDonald's for a fun ice cream experience we had in Arizona. Nothing is better than an ice cream with friends, young or old.

When I was little, my mom taught us kids to sing this song and I have vivid memories of my oldest brother singing it too. It goes :

I scream
You scream
We all Scream,
for
Ice Cream.

Needless to say, my mom loved iced cream and she made sure to pass on the tradition by letting the babies "just have a little taste." whenever she could. My kids definitely like it too and as for me, I have some great ice cream memories in my own life.

I remember being able to buy a triple scoop, three-different-flavored cone at the Payless drug store for 15 cents. I had a neighbor who would load up the back of a pick up truck and sometimes the station wagon with kids in the neighborhood to go and get ice cream there. I remember me and my friend raiding the freezer, eating more than our share, and my mom complaining because we didn't lave any for her.

Today I carry a digital photo of my grandson licking the first ice cream cone he ever had. It was at an ice cream party for my birthday in 2009 and I remember him asking, "How do you eat it?" We got a great photo of him demonstrating the way you eat it too.

We took the folks out, through the McDonald's drive thru for a cone while we were visiting them and it was extremely fun. I have seen a lot of people have fun with ice cream but this was just about the best.
The grandpa had a hot fudge sundae, and the grandma had a cone. You would have thought they both died and went to heaven right then and there. We were all quietly sitting in the car minding our own ice cream, when between licks the grandma announced, "This is a dream!" As she continued to intently enjoy her cone, the grandpa said, "How come we never done this before?"

Surprised, I had to ask, "What, you two never went out to have an ice cream cone?"

"Nope." came the response.

"Wow!" I thought to myself, thinking of how I knew so many people who enjoyed ice cream, and I decide to make note that if you ever want to have some cheap fun with a grandma or a grandpa, ice cream sure would be a winner.

Going out for a cone costs a little more these days than a nickel per scoop, but I tell ya, for 1.79 at McDonald's those two had a lot of fun and we did too. I am not big on Macdonald's, but I have been known to go there for ice cream, especially soft ice cream cones. I am sure there are many ice cream places around, but I cannot think of anyplace where a soft serve ice cream cone is less that the $ .79 cone at McDonald's. The hot fudge sundae, with or without nuts, was only $1.00, and it came with a free spoon.

Does it get any better than that? What a deal!

Thank you Mickey D!

Now I know where to take both the older folks and the kids to have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment