Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Old European

Old European Restaurant is not only a local restaurant, they have restaurants in several locations, including Pullman and Post Falls.   In Spokane, there once was two locations.  The valley location closed and now there is only one, on north Division St near Lincoln Rd.

Their specialty is breakfast and lunch and advertise that they serve foods from Germany, Scandinavia, Sweden, Ireland, Eastern Europe and America. The north Division store is new, a transplant fro the other side of the street,  but it is cheery and spacious and there are probably less lines waiting outside the door like there used to be when they were across the road.  There was no line today when I was there for a gathering of friends.

There are a lot of dining options...
There is a breakfast bar...
or there are tables and booths. As you can see advertised on the wall here, they make fresh squeezed orange juice.







It's a friendly crowd at this place.  The times I have been here, I always see someone I know... or meet someone new to me.  On this particular day I met a famous Hollywood director, now retired, who introduced himself after jumping into a photo we were taking of our group.  He was wearing sun glasses, trying to remain incognito...(I am sure) and to keep his name secret, I will only tell you his first name.. George.
  Anyhow it was fun.


I do not know what everything here is, but there is quite a selection on the menu, even something simple if you like, like oatmeal. On our table was a variety of items... here are some:

I had stuffed french toast, (stuffed with bacon and eggs)
Did I like it?   No. The french toast part was good, butI think too that she gave me ham instead of bacon, but as I was eating it I figured, they were pretty much the same thing anyhow.  I didn't like my coffee either.  I guess this restaurant just isn;t for me. My Hungarian husband, who also has eaten here before, doesn't like to come here, so I was hoping I cold give him a good report.  His complaint about it is that the dish they serve, labeled Hungarian Goulash, (which he has ordered here before,) "isn't even Hungarian."  HE did like though, he said that it was good, ust not Hungarian by his Hungarian definition.

A lot of people do like this place, they love the food here, but it just doesn't seem to be the place for me.  I kinda like my eggs and bacon separate, and not hiding beneath my french toast. I will say that they do make some not-so-usual dishes., like the walnut smothered crepes, which I heard were wonderful.  There really is a lot to select from on the menu and uniquely different breakfast meals is what this place is about. As for me, this is not one of my favorites, but then, I just like good ol pancakes, french toast or bacon and eggs for breakfast.  For me, it was too hard to pick something from their menu.

Old European Breakfast House on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. we ate there after hearing how absolutely wonderful it was..and we thought it was horrid...the customer service was terrible..and the food was cold and undercooked...plus, they brought us our orders 15 mins. apart so some of us had to wait to eat..then the rest were done and some still didnt have thier food..not cool in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete