Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Alpine Bistro and Bakery








The Alpine Bistro is located 810 N. Monroe Street in the "courthouse area" of Spokane.  It's a little storefront I pass by often and I have heard good things about it from others who stop here for lunch. 
Add caption
The day I stopped here with a friend, the special advertised was Ratatouille, a strange sort of dish to find at a bakery, but I admit, it caught my curiosity.










They did have on display various items like quiches and Chicken Pot Pies.  there were also loaves of bread.




As I contemplated the menu before me, I just kept wondering about the Ratatouille.


I have seen the movie by that name but I had never eaten Ratatouille.


Ratatouille, as the waitress told me,  is a type of Italian stew, made with eggplant, zucchini, onions, tomatoes... garlic and spices.  My friend ordered a sandwich... vegetarian style.. and I, who like eggplant and zucchini, onions, tomatoes and garlic with spices, was feeling curious, and decided to try the Ratatouille.




My friend was curious too...  so we opted to share the Ratatouille experience... and the sandwich.   Our waitress was kind enough to split it up for us individually in the kitchen. 


 The Ratatouille was served on couscous.











It was a rather eclectic sort of meal.






  Potato chips came with the sandwich and a salad with the Ratatouille.







Not being a Ratatouille expert, I cannot tell you if it was great Ratatouille or not....  I can only tell you I like to try different things once in a while, and I was in the mood for something besides a sandwich. I didn't care for it enough to order it again.  I am reminded too, that Ratatouille  is not  their normal fare at the Alpine Bistro,
Nnext time, should I find myself in this area of town, I will try the quiche!  It is their specialty!


I know this because while I was here, I asked.  Besides,  while I was here, I also found a book they had for sale called Signature Tastes of Spokane.  It's a recipe book, and the Alpine Bistro and Bakery is one of the restaurants featured in the book. Ttheir featured recipe is Quiche Lorraine.


Each featured restaurant offers a recipe for an item on their menu.  I am very excited about using the book for Tasty Trekking around Spokane.... and maybe even making some delicacies in my own kitchen!  



Alpine Bistro & Bakery Co on Urbanspoon




No comments:

Post a Comment