Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Elk Public House

This is the street view of The Elk, located at 1933 W. Pacific Ave in Spokane.  I have been wanting to go to this place for a while, but the thing that has been preventing me is our love for Asian food. I still love Asian food, it was just time for something else.... so I got to go here, finally!

I think the thing that has drawn me to want to visit the Elk is that it is tucked away in an older part of town, one with big lofty houses, and arboreously green parks and, one of my favorite things about a city... there are sidewalks.

Call me "crazy"... but I love to walk down sidewalks.  I love old buildings and houses too.
(I think it is a remnant of my childhood.)  The Elk is right, smack dab, in the middle of it all.


On the inside The Elk is a bit of a pub.

Like all good pubs. it is an eating establishment as well.  Here is the menu, the backside of the menu is a listing of the wines and beers they serve.

Here is my coaster:


For an appetizer we had garlic bread and I have to say, IT may well be the best I have had anywhere yet!  When they say "smothered in garlic"  they mean it!

Geo went for the 74th St. Gumbo, a dish with chicken, sausage, shrimp and vegetables served over rice.  It was a rather spicy dish... a bit of a sailors stew, I would say, not really y kind of thing, but he loved it.  He detected the sichuan pepper spice right away.  It was really good with the bread they served with it.















I went for the Ruben sandwich....





...It was  corned beef, Swiss, (house made) sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing on toasted rye bread.  I choose the cucumber salad for a side.  I didn't know it would come with peanuts on it.  This was surprise and most unusual to me.  I kinda liked it.  The Rueben was really, really good!  IT was so good Geo wanted to help me eat it. 


 The decor was simple,  the scene a little bit trendy...(an art deco neon "Drugs" sign was lit up over the door.)  I even got to read a local independent underground kinda  "rag." 


Our food was great, our server was fantastic....and afterwards we went for a walk looking at some of the spectacular neighborhod houses along the City Tour route. 




The Elk's kitchen hours are Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed 11am to 10pm/ Thurs, Fri, Sat 11am to 11pm, and you can get take out food too, but it will cost you 25 cents extra each. 



The perfect ending to an evening on the town.
Elk Public House on Urbanspoon 

1 comment:

  1. You may already know this, but the "Drugs" neon sign is an homage to the fact that the building was a drug store/soda fountain way back in the day.

    ReplyDelete